Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Growing up, growing older...

The first few warm breezes of spring always remind me of my college campus.

The blooming redbud trees, the smell of fresh cut grass, the return of birds singing. All this set against a backdrop of gothic stone buildings, terracotta rooftops, academia and intellectual progress.

Now I'm two years removed from that memory- it's still fairly fresh, but I can feel it start to fade. I struggle to keep hold; I don't want to lose it.

I wonder if, someday, it'll be completely gone. All those images, the memory of the way the wind smelled, the way I felt in those moments as I walked across campus from class to class. Gone. I wonder if a new spring memory will replace the one I'm currently remembering.

Time is time; it drags and stretches, and it puts distance upon distance between us and our memories. This is how it's always been. This is how it will always be. The wheels keep turning, new is laid over old.

I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

Ta.
savvy

1 comment:

jen said...

Beautifully written.