Thursday, October 1, 2009

Of summer's end and busy bees...

Summer is over; you can feel it slipping away. Smell it leaving the air. The wind is different; the sounds are different. There's that residual sadness that always comes when summer leaves, but fall is so beautiful and there's so much on the brink of happening this time of year.

My social calendar is jam-packed for the duration of October. The American Royal, birthdays (practically everyone I know was born this month), Homecoming (such an event), the kick-off of basketball season (LATE NIGHT!!!), dinner parties and sushi nights with friends... So, so busy.

But life is brilliant right now; I couldn't be happier.

The house is amazing, I'm so proud of us and of what we've done with it. There's still a few tweaks to be completed, but that's part of the process. It's completely and totally home, which is such a phenomenal feeling.

I'm working my ass off, quite literally, but that's okay because it keeps me sharp, helps me flesh out my value with the Academy, and pays my bills. In the world we live in today, I'm so very lucky.

I'm looking forward to the leaves changing colors, to seeing what my neighborhood looks like in the peak of fall. Looking forward to pumpkin spice lattes from Starbuck's, making a fire in the fireplace, tall boots over jeans, and big, cozy scarves. Looking forward to basketball games at the Fieldhouse, making huge pots of chili, getting our first Christmas tree, and the possibility of rings and such.

(Not looking forward to sleet, the feel of freezing tile beneath my feet in my bathroom in the mornings, freezing to the bone on the short walk from my car to the office, and that agonizing stretch of miserable weather that comes after Christmas and before the first thaw. Just fyi.)

I savor this time of year, right now, right here. It's so fleeting. Comes and goes so quickly. It's like my other fav, spring. So quick. There's no stretch the way there is with summer and winter; you blink and you miss it. Not. Blinking.

Ta.
savvy

2 comments:

jen said...

Glad you're happy! :)

alissa said...

My social calendar was non-existent in October (save Halloween)... November is a different story! So many family-oriented engagements in the next few weeks. Someone will need to spike my apple cider to help me through it. :)