Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Beauty is only skin deep...

Thus, take care of your skin.

In this day and age, we've all heard what happens to those that don't moisturize, that don't apply a daily SPF, that spend hours in the sun frying themselves in delicious-smelling oils to procure the darkest (and most dangerous) of tans. We know that it results in wrinkles, cancer, pigmentation, more cancer, a loss of elasticity and more bloody cancer.

I have to come clean. From my sophomore year of high school until about a year and a half ago, I was a Tanning Girl. I hit the beds 3-4 times a week, sometimes daily if I was getting ready for an event (Homecoming, Prom, first summer vacay weekend at the lake, etc.). I didn't use sunscreen daily and I only sporadically applied when I was laying out or swimming.

Bad, bad, bad.

But bad girls can repent and renew, which is what I've attempted to do.

Now I use a sunscreen on my face and hands daily. And before I leave the gym (and drive home in the late afternoon sunshine with my sunroof open), I dust on a layer of Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 (which I swear by- I never burn with this stuff, ev-er). When I lay out (which I still do, so sue me), I apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to my entire body and reapply every 2 hours (and yes, I still get tan lines- so I'm getting the color without the burn and hopefully greatly reducing my risk of shriveling into a cancerous mound of raisin skin). I use products with vitamins A, C and E (in my day cream), retinol (in my night cream) and hydraulic acid (in my serum). I use an eye cream morning and night. When I want seriously bronzed skin, I go hunting for my calvary of self-tanners.

I'm reformed.
Hopefully, this will offset some of the damage I did to my skin in years past, and help me stay skin cancer (and wrinkle!) free. I do not want to be one of those leather-faced 27 years olds that look 35. Or a 35 year old who looks 55. Or have skin that looks like Lindsay Lohan's (DirtyFace. And have you seen her wrinkly forehead and neck? She look wayyyyy older than her 21-almost-22 years.)

And I encourage you to jump on the Reformation Band Wagon, so we can be wrinkle-free together. ;)

Ta.
savvy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, this totally used to be me: worshipping the sun, living in a tanning bed, and never using sunscreen. But now I do! I get a spray tan every few weeks, and keep up my tan at home with self-tanner. It's more work than hopping in a tanning bed and taking a quick nap :) but it's way better for you!