I think one of the hardest things to learn in life is when someone isn't good for you. We're taught to give everyone a chance, that every person has worth, and that you should default to nice in most situations.
But I question this.
Sure, everyone deserves a chance.
But after they blow it (once, twice, several times), what then? Another chance?
Or what if they just continue to demonstrate that they're just not a good fit for you (as a friend, a significant other, etc.)? What if they're not a black-and-white "bad" person... What if they're just annoyingly immature, self-centered, quick to judge, or too tempermental? Is it okay to brush them off?
In the past few years, I've done a little editing of my circle of friends.
It's a natural process, I suppose. In high school, you see so many people on a regular basis (and given the level of raging, bitchy hormones flooding high school halls), it pays to be nice. But then you graduate, you grow up, and you move on. Contact with people you are not particularly fond of is most likely limited. And then you make new friends when you're presented with the opportunities that environments such as college and work provide. During this time period, you remain friends with a few people from high school, college, etc., and add new friends to your circle. It's these people that become your staple friends, your constants. Your Importants. They prove to be there for you over and over again, regardless of situation or impairment. They prove themselves worthy. (And you are expected to reciprocate, naturally.)
And as I've been editing, I've noticed that not everyone fits into the category of "crappy human being" or "amazing friend." There are gray areas (as there always are in life...).
There are some people that I don't have deeply-rooted issues with. These people haven't stabbed me in the back (metaphorically or otherwise), but they have proven to be generally distasteful. Maybe they have a penchant for double-standards, or maybe they talk behind the backs of people they are supposed to be friends with, put on a fake smile to your face and then roll their eyes when you turn away, etc. Maybe they are only occasional snarky, sniping bitches.
But snarky, sniping bitches nonetheless.
When confronted with these types, I find myself wondering exactly how to handle them. Sure, you can stage a big confrontational screaming match (overkill) or you can continue to smile and placate, completely miserable (underkill).
Or...
You can simply drop off the face of their earth.
I find that most appropriate.
It's not necessary to rant and rave. Or to try and change them. Or to suck it up and accept them.
Just... Dead end the friendship / acquaintenceship.
Now, this may not be appropriate for someone that is very close to you- I'm referring more or less to the people you are "kinda-sortas" with. The ones that you see every now and then, go out for drinks with, email occasionally, you know? Those types.
Lately I've been thinking about the people that have been "edited out", if you will, and am quite proud of myself for doing this.
Life is far too short and important to waste it on people that don't matter.
And people that are OSSB (occasional sniping, snarky bitches) don't matter.
Find the good, treasure the good.
Find the bad, eradicate the bad.
Find the grays, phase out the grays.
Best of luck editing.
Ta.
savvy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
wow...that was insightful
& well put, i might add
Right on!
I have this "friend" that I've known for years, but she just really isn't that great of a person... She's catty, she talks about everyone behind their backs (including me) and nothing I do is ever good enough for our "friendship." Drama! This perfectly describes how I feel about her- she's not an axe murderer, but she's also not someone I want in my life!
Well said!
Post a Comment