I buy what she's selling- literally and figuratively. I believe that elegance doesn't come with time and the giving-up of your teenage habits, but with the decision to pursue grace and style.
"Style is style. Either you got it, or you don't." -Anonymous
I also believe this- to a point. I think some people are just born with an eye for fashion, for what looks good, feels good, for what works. But I also think it can be cultivated, if one is so inclined.
The London weather is gone- for at least the next week or so- so I find myself pining away for my home across the pond. I don't know when- or if- this obsession with London will cease, nor am I sure that I want it to. I think that the good things in life are worth chasing, longing for, lusting after. It's what makes them good, after all.
A good friend referred to the way I speak as my own personal "cadence." I found that both lovely and fascinating. I asked her to elaborate, and she replied, "The way you form your sentences, the spacing you put between the words, the way you say things- that's your cadence." Even more intruiging.
This got me thinking- do we all have our own cadences? Is everyone's cadence unique, or is it rooted in our environment- such as where we come from, who we associate and converse with, and what comes most naturally? Or is one's cadence what they aspire to be? (Talk like a _______, be a ________; insert your own personal aspiration here.) Thought-provoking, truly.
Switching to all things superficial:
What was Hayden Panettiere thinking at the Emmy's last night?
Too much- too much fabric, too much volume, too much sheen and too much slick.
The dress completely overwhelms her small frame. Hayden's not tall- but then again, I'm not sure an tall girl could have pulled this off. And the amount of fabric gives the dress so much bloody volume that it looks like Hayden could hide a VW Bug comfortably beneath her skirt. And it totally throws off her proportions- look how small her upper body looks in comparison to the massive gown. The material is too shiny, calling attention to the bit of shine on Hayden's forehead (it was hot outside, for heaven's sake). And the slicked-back hairstyle she chose was too severe- I'm sure she was trying to keep it simple due to the drama of the dress, but it just made her head look tiny. Too tiny. Shrunken-head-on-a-stick tiny. Romantic waves might've looked a bit better.
Now, usually Hayden is a-okay in my fashion black book. Usually age-appropriate with a fashionista twist. Never classless. And I love her body- she's athletic, and has real thighs. More power to her. But this was a no-no. This was a faux-pas. This was a wtf.
Another monstrosity: Ellen Pompeo.

I want to root for her, really I do. I love that dark-and-twisty Meredith, and I love that Ellen normally thinks a bit outside the box when it comes to the red carpet (although she often misses the mark).
This time, I loved the dress. Simple, elegant, the most beautiful, interesting necklace. But her hair? Her makeup? No. And no. Homegirl is looking every bit of her 37 (almost 38) years- and she doesn't have to because she's got gorgeous skin. But the hair just adds years. And years. It's the Paris-Hilton-at-this-year's-VMAs fiasco.
Stop with the Sophia Hair.
Brighter note: I loved Portia de Rossi and Ali Larter. Jewel tones, jewel tones, jewel tones- also big for fall.


Both ensembles flatter, hug and drape perfectly. Love, love, love. I love how easy Ali is in her dress- it commands attention, but in a willowy, not-really-trying sort of way. Love that she wore her hair down. And Portia looks amazing- love the neckline, adore the bodice, would kill for the rusching. Fab-u-lous.
Some of those Hollywood ladies should be taking notes.
One of them is Jessica Simpson:

Now, let the record state that I love Miss Simpson. I think she's adorable, I think her shoe line is adorable, and I think her fashion sense is adorable.
At least, I used to.
In the classic days of Newlyweds, JS couldn't go wrong. She was always cute, always fresh-faced, always carrying some fabulous accessory that I found myself quickly lusting after.
But in the past year... She just can't get it together. At least not consistently.
This Daisy Duke ridiculousness, par exemple. Jessica's body is toned- almost tooooo toned, Linebacker-Biel toned- and she can definitely pull off the short shorts (even if she has to cut up amazing William Rast jeans to do so). But the western print? The cheap knot at the stomach? The tall wedges with the super-short frayed denim?
Noooooo. Wrong.
Allow me to refresh your memory of the Jessica I used to know:

So sad.
I'm off to hit the keyboard for work, then hit the gym after.
Ta.
savvy

2 comments:
RIP Nick and Jess.
I miss them together!
Screw Vanessa Minillo- she's blllllah.
Hayden's dress was WAY over the top. No thanks.
I love Jessica too- but not that outfit!
Great post!
Post a Comment