Like antique-y mirrored compacts, lipstick and statement (vintage, original) clothing.
Stuff that requires a little wisdom and sophistication to pull off. A little elegance. A little Coco-inspired "Mais oui," if you will.
Maybe it's because I'm immersed in the working world and no longer a student, or maybe it's because I'm turning 23 in a few months. ("Which is almost 25, which is almost mid-twenties." Jessica Simpson, the ever-dense-but-dammit-I-still-love-her genius.)
Or...
It could be that taste changes. Evolves.
Spins itself through trends, sampling and smacking its lips together until it finds the right flavors to delight the fashion palatte.
Hm. Am going with that.
Pictures of my recent adult acquisitions:
My grandmother's compact.
Had to beg her for it.
"You'll get it when I die," she said.
"That could be years from now," I reasoned.
It's decadent, don't you think? A compact devoted entirely to reflection- no pesky powder to hog one side and dust the mirror. I love the magnified side- portable magnification is a brilliant thing! I feel very Coco using it; very French.
Lipstick.
Such a novel concept for me, the LipGloss Girl, through and through.
I couldn't be bothered with lipstick a year ago.
"What in the hell for? Why would you not want your lips to be shiny?"
I didn't get it.
Now I do.
There's something very ladylike about lipstick, if done right. Find the right shade- a light pink works for everyone and is a way to really freshen up your look (Dior makes a fabulous shade called Pink Flash, which I am obsessed with). My latest little tube of chic is from Smashbox, in Shine. It's a bit vibrant, looks very bright- but is actually a sweet, sheer wash of color. And has a column of SPF 15 shot through the middle, which not only protects but helps keep the color from getting too matte.
Regardless of my current lust for ladylike accessories, I still can't embrace fur stoles or oxford pumps (sorry, anyone with athletic legs just can't pull 'em off).
It's a give and take.
And I'll take my compact and my lipstick, thanks.
Ta.
savvy

2 comments:
Love the compact!
I don't know if I could do the lipstick- pink never looks good on me.
And is that your datebook? How cute! So organized!
Is that Betsey Johnson body lotion in the background.
I'm obsessed with that fragrance.
I have that lipstick in Beam- more of a nude. It's limited edition, so I might have to run out and snag more before they're gone... Smashbox knows how to do it!
Post a Comment