Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Revisiting personal uniforms...

A few months ago, I blogged about one's personal uniform. It stemmed from an article on fashionista (love!) about allowing your favorite pieces in your wardrobe to become staples that you go to over and over again.

I got to thinking about my personal uniform the other day, and what pieces it included.

Allow me to share:
  • Seven jeans (so comfy, so perfect, and so versatile. The bootcut can't be beat. You can dress 'em up, down and sideways).
  • Skinny jeans (buy whichever brand you like, I love Express, but you can't beat a pair of skinnies + flats, skinnies + stilettos, or skinnies + knee high boots).
  • Knee-high boots (my tall, stacked Micheal Kors boots, my pirate-y black Jessica Simpsons, my flat, brown equestrian London boots- all are fab and all can be worn with damn near anything).
  • Button-ups (in any color, button-up collared shirts are classic, sophisticated, and scream, "Don't I look put-together? I KNOW.").
  • Big earrings (chandeliers, hoops, long and dangly- I love them all, and when you throw on a pair, you look a little more "I totally meant to do this, isn't it fab?).
  • Stilettos (my obsession is never satiated; I don't think womanhood truly begins until one learns how to work a pair of heels).
  • Leather jackets (short, motorcycle, usually black, with some type of zippered pocket thing happening; I have 2 and I love them).

Specifically, I have a pair of Sevens and a pair of Express skinny jeans that I wear all over town to any and every occasion.

My Micheal Kors boots look fabulous over skinnies or with tights and a short dress. The London shit-kickers (that's what they call 'em, I love it) are an amazing way to shake up the boring tunic-and-legging combo, or a way to urban-ize a pair of jeans and a tee.

I love Express' button ups- they are long enough to elongate the torso and can be tucked in for a leaner silhouette.

I'll buy a pair of big, loud earrings from anyone, I couldn't care less who makes them. ; )

Same thing goes for stilettos- although Nine West, Baker's, Aldo, Victoria's Secret (you'd be surprised how fabulous they are) and Zappos (which stocks a variety of both high-end designer and more reasonably-priced options) are some favorites. I'm currently obsessing over a pair of classic Loubis (which I'll have to procure from Neiman or Sak's online, I'm sure) and a pair of Givenchy's. Never, ever satisfied.

One would think that finding a good leather jacket either takes a boatload of cash to drop at some trendy boutique that caters to the Olsens (who do this trend well, btw) or a boatload of time to peruse vintage and second-hand shops. Untrue. Both of my leather jackets (which are of the very-now motorcycle variety) are from Victoria's Secret and cost less than $200. I know. Shock, right? It's true. And not only that, Miss Vicky tends to offer several very hip, very new options. Does it look like I'd be caught dead in some blazer-cut, grandma-length leather jacket with bell cuffs? Absolutely not. My jackets are sleek, slim cut, feisty little numbers that I literally wear everywhere. Brought one to London (and lived in it, since the weather was delightfully breezy and cool), and didn't see much difference between my version and the versions the hipster fashionista Brits were sporting.

VS is the jam, I'm telling you. Shop. Browse the catalog (in print or online). Be impressed.

Newly acquired soon-to-be staples of my uniform:

  • JCrew blazer (it's the grey and cream version of the Balenciaga school boy blazer that has been whipping fashion editors into a frenzy since spring). I plan on wearing it over dresses and tights and scrunching up the sleeves and pulling it on to jazz up a pair of skinnies and flats. Oooh- or layering a big scarf underneath it (almost covering whatever tee I'm wearing underneath) and letting the scarf puff out out from the jacket like an ascot. So preppy fab.
  • Turtlenecks (they're back, baby, and I'm glad). You can snag 'em for under $10 from Target and chic up anything you have: under dresses (screams French!), with jeans and flats (also screams French) or under blazers and cardigans (more prep, I love!).
  • Vests (Kate Moss brought 'em back, now you can, too). I have one from American Apparel and one from Express. I'll dress up my work outfits with 'em, looking instantly Office Fabulous, or throw one on with a fitted tee (graphic or otherwise) and jeans. An easy layer, if you find the right cut- for ladies with thicker middles or short torsos, opt for longer versions (read: more buttons) to elongate. And rock it out.

So, there you have it.
Personal uniforms are in.
Go find yours.
:)

Ta.

savvy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post.
You're so right on- and your style sounds really classic and chic with the right touch of trendy! So fabulous!

You have a pair of Michael Kors boots??? Omg, I LOVE him.

Take care!