Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Of face mismatch and fiscal responsibility...

Do you ever have one of those days where your face doesn't match your outfit?

I know that sounds odd, but I'm having one of those days.

My outfit is cute- even a little sassy. I'd say a nice cross between chic (black pencil skirt, mary-jane stilettos) and trendy (white tee, pink buffalo plaid scarf). I was quite pleased with myself as I left for work this morning.

And then I caught a glimpse of my face in the bathroom mirror around 10 a.m.
Not.
Good.

I looked sallow, tired, and as if I was hardly wearing any eye makeup at all.
Ugh.
I hate that.

I'm sure it has as much to do with the awful overhead florescent lighting as it does with the fact that I actually look rode-hard-put-away-wet. Equal parts, equal parts. But it's still disheartening. And annoying.

It also could have something to do with the fact that I gave this little hand-held microderm abrasion kit a test run on Saturday. It felt wonderful- like a mini-massage- and after, my skin was so smooth.

And I woke up Sunday with rough, bumpy patches covering my face.
Sandpaper, really.
Gross.

I'm sure I was just over-enthusiastic with the abrasion; too much, too soon.

So now I'm on this Cetaphil/DDF Oil-Free Moisturizer kick until the bumps retreat back into my face (or wherever they go).

*

Life on the home front is much improved- I'm happy to report that we are now officially living in our house! Yay! Applause, applause! The Kitchen Nightmare is nearing an end. Tiling the backsplash, cutting in the ceiling and grouting the entryway. Then: DONE. Very happy about this.

There are other little projects floating around, waiting to be checked off (and believe me, I will check them off), but all in good time.

It's amazing to be able to drive home to my own house (which is only minutes from my work, plus). Walk through my own front door, toss my keys and purse on my own sofa table, put my coat in my own coat closet, relax on my own couch in my own living room (with my own glass of wine). Fabulous, fabulous.

With home ownership, however, come many responsibilities. M-a-n-y. I'm on a constant budget (such is life), so the point where I'm eyeballing every penny before it is swiped away via debit card. My money has to stretch further- and this no longer means stretching from Nordstrom to Sephora. Now, Hen House, Bed Bath and Beyond and whatever furniture store I can mind must be added to the Stretch List. Can be stressful.

I've already upped my green tea intake in attempt to counteract this.

;)
Ta.
savvy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Do you ever have one of those days where your face doesn't match your outfit?"

You are too funny.
I'm sure you're way cute, so shut your face! :)

Anonymous said...

I bet you're dying to claim that first-time home-buyer tax credit they're offering, aren't you? Isn't it something like $7000? Balllller!

And congrats on the continued progress... Owning a house consumes your life, man, seriously!

savvy said...

Yes, M, I'm quite pumped about the tax credit. And it's $7500, btw. ;)