Although I'm stuck here in the sweltering Midwest in the dead of August, fall fashions are all over the runways and stores are stocking heavy fabrics like tweeds, wools and leather for the upcoming cool season.
Here are the trends I've noted for fall (taken from both the pages of Vogue and InStyle, the blogs of Fashionista, and the streets of London):
1) Metallics.
-Again, and still. Look for gold and silver accents- shoes, bags, belts and even clothing.
2) Patent.
-The patent trend is still hot. Stock up on shiny shoes and bags (skinny patent belts are also right-this-second), or carry your darker/brighter-colored patent accessories from summer.
3) Gray.
-It's everywhere on the runways. From accent pieces to full ensembles, any bit of gray you can work into your wardrobe looks fresh and sophisticated. I lusted after a pair of gray jeans (think Mrs. Beckham, skinny and slightly cropped), and scored a sweet pair in London. Love, love, love. Pair your gray with black, white, navy, bright colors, or even more gray. It works with all off it.
4) Mary Janes.
-You've seen them- Christian Louboutin released his version this summer, but I think the concept is going to be on fire for fall. I've already seen MJ ballet flat versions, and more reasonably-priced (when compared to the $700 Loubis) platform peep-toes at Steve Madden.
5) Flat knee-high boots.
-Think an updated English riding boot. All over London. Girls wore them with everything- airy dresses layered with turtlenecks and scarves, over skinny jeans, with shorts and leggings, you name it. Feels edgy, but refined. The flat boot isn't as dressy (unless you intentionally make it dressy), so you can rock a pair with a fairly casual outfit. Bought a pair on Regent Street, am currently obsessed.
6) Zippers.
-Think big, bold, in-your-face. Dresses at Zara in London had chunky versions zipping up the backs of ladylike dresses, which gave the girly outfit a rocker edge.
7) Leggings.
-In for almost a full fashion year now, leggings are here to stay (for the moment, at least). The latest trend is to stray from the conventional black or dark brown and punch it up with a deep plum or navy color. Wear them with party dresses and open-toe heels to look straight-off-the-catwalk. I've seen the Day-Glo circa 1992 versions a few times, but I don't think that works on anyone who isn't a twig or isn't still listening to Wham.
8) Wide leg pants.
-From jeans (Seven for All Mankind makes a pair that I own and love) to trousers, wide leg pants are hot, hot, hot. You can go with a slouchy pair of trousers in a heavy tweed or wool with a fitted top and look en-ce-moment-Paris, or snag a more fitted (through the waist) denim pair, add a button-up and a pair of killer stilettos.
9) Cigarette pants.
-I know skinny jeans are still in, but the latest versions are a little shorter in length (just below the ankle) and scream Audrey Hepburn. Not just for denim, you can now snag a pair of these slim little lovelies in other fabrics like cotton.
10) Hats.
-Fedoras made a surge this summer, and will continue their push through the fall and winter, where I think they'll look more appropriate (something about wearing a wool fedora in a heat wave seems cruel and unusual). Other styles are in, but I find the fedora universally flattering.
11) Blue.
-Think bright, in-your-face, the color of the Mediterranean blue. Marc Jacobs was first, as he came out with a Stam for the S/S 07 season (I HAVE IT!), and Jimmy Choo followed suit with their Marin Clutch. Now, Michael Kors and others have jumped on the blue-hued wagon, with punchy accessories and pieces that are reminiscent of the waters off Greece.
12) Navy and black.
-Once a bit of a fashion no-no, suddenly a navy and black combo looks impossibly posh.
13) Motorcycle jackets.
-Zippers, maybe a stray leather strap here and there, edgy blunt collar, cropped length. Ashley Olsen has a few jackets and manages to pull this off brilliantly. You can go full-on street and keep it really tough, or you can throw the jacket on over a girly frock and look like the freshest lady in the room.
14) Oversized sweaters.
-If they're of the coat/wrap variety, they can be big as a blanket and just as slouchy. Loop a belt around your waist if you want a little shape. If they're of the shirt variety, keep them long and loose (but not baggy), and slip on a pair of leggings and boots (ankle or knee, or tall flat). Très chic, and so right now.
15) Shift dresses.
-A little more fitted than the trapeze cuts of this summer, the shift dress is very easy to wear. (Some cuts are more fitted than others, so go as tight as you please.) The shift is light and looks very sophisticated (dare I say savvy?), and can be amped with up stilettos (and opaque tights/leggings when it's chilly) or toned down with flats.
That's what I got... For the moment.
Happy shopping!
Cheers.
savvy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I LOVE this.
So informative and dead-on right.
Thanks for the shopping list!
This is BRILLIANT!
Post a Comment