It's been back for a few seasons now: geometric prints, mod sheaths, Twiggy-esque doe-eyed runway looks.
For the most part, I'm a fan.
You just can't go wrong in a mod-minidress. It's nearly impossible to look un-chic while wearing one.
Now let's talk about how to do retro right.
Good:

Love, love, love.
This shift, which is OC by Oleg Cassini, is fabulous. Beautiful colors. Amazing pattern. Bold, in-your-face, a little avant-garde, amazingly camouflages anything you don't want to showcase, and puts your gams on display.
Very retro, but brilliantly so.
Bad:

Ick, ick, ick.
When your dress resembles a couch plucked from 1975, it's time to retire it, non? This hideous little number is Necessary Objects. (How ironic, because I find it quite unnecessary.)
Switching topics: coke whores in Hollywood.
Namely, Lindsay and Britney.
Explain to me how two girls with all the wealth and opportunity in the world end up like this? Is fame really that bloody hard? Really?
Because I don't think it is.
I don't think it's that hard to keep from launching yourself nose first into a snow white pile of cocaine. I don't think it's that hard to keep yourself from hitting the booze at mach 4 every night. I don't think it's that hard to stay at home a few nights a week with your 2 little boys/with your younger, impressionable siblings.
Now, if you're going to argue that the cocaine rumors are tabloid trash, that there's no proof, blah, blah, blah... Then you probably believed Lindsay when she claimed the pants she was wearing (the ones containing coke in the pocket at the time of her latest arrest) weren't hers.
Puh-leeease.
Check out pictures of Lindsay slinking out of Parc on a random Tuesday... Her pupils are pinned like she just hoovered through a three-foot line. Or read OK!'s article on Britney's erratic behavior at their photo shoot.
(And, for you smut amateurs, OK! is notorious for being celeb-friendly. Read: they will print whatever paints the star in the most favorable light, they'll spin it however to garner celeb approval. Why do you think Nick and Vanessa ran to OK! to give the exclusive interview after those naughty-hot-tub-romp pics surfaced? Because US Weekly and People would ask the hard-hitting questions, and OK! would just smile and nod.)
These girls market themselves to the masses, mainly teenage and tweenage girls that are hungry to be considered pretty and/or sexy, and get everyone's attention. They are the next best thing, the pop princesses, icons.
And then they stumble out of Teddy's in Hollywood one night with that tell-tale white powder under their noses.
C'mon.
Get a clue.
This isn't the 70s. We all know how bad drugs are. (Not to mention how completely unattractive.) So clean it up for chirssakes.
I don't understand drug culture at all- Hollywood or MidWest based. The lure of using your American Express Black Card to line up your bumps?
I'd rather use that Black Card to fund a spree at Balenciaga, but that's just me, you know?
Cheers.
savvy

1 comment:
Oh, I LOVE that purple dress! So cute!
But the second one... Is horrible, you're right.
And cocaine is for the birds.
Blow-han and Spears are washed-up cokeheads... And still children!
Post a Comment